Do you want to let fitness have a bigger role in your life, but finding it hard to get started? If so, you definitely want to continue reading this! Adriane Alvord is an all around fitness master and she has just the advice for you. With just three simple tips, you’ll be off to a fresh, fit start!
Already into fitness and looking to take it to the next
level? Don’t worry, Adriane has you covered too! Keep
reading and check out her great bonus workout. Let’s just
say it won’t be long be-”4” you’re feeling the burn!
- In order for our bodies to be able to define new limits, we first have to get our minds wrapped around the idea. The body just follows what the mind says. I can tell you from experience I have won races that I was nowhere near fit enough to win, just from pure will power and my mindset. If you truly believe you can do it, then your body is set up to succeed. But you could be the fittest person on this planet but be full of self doubt and never be able to achieve greatly. You have to get up everyday and tell yourself you do deserve to achieve your goals. Then you have to go out and perform. It’s like yin & yang. You can’t have one without the other. I really believe a fit body first starts with the right mindset. The rest just follows.
- You should 100% go for it! Coming from someone who was the least athletic person in my high school (for real I was!!) you can accomplish anything you’re willing to work hard for. Not only that, but there’s no better way to learn about who you are than by pushing your limits. It’s truly a chance to work hard, and reap the benefits. Although it takes patience and persistence there’s nothing more fulfilling than being able to look back and see how far you’ve come. Not only will your body be happier and healthier, but so will your mind. And I can guarantee anyone who is willing to put in the work, they will completely shock themselves by what they accomplish.
- I’m a big believer in you don’t need fancy equipment or a gym to be fit. A lot of people like to use that as an excuse not to be active, but in reality if you look around you I bet you could find 3 things to use for exercise without even leaving your home. If you’re goal is to develop grip strength to either give American Ninja Warrior, rock climbing, or obstacle course racing a try, then you don’t even need a pull up bar to work on that. (Although you can order one for about $20 off of amazon) You can use door ledges, tree branches, playgrounds, just about anything to hang off of, which actually is more beneficial for grip strength than a traditional horizontal bar. Just be careful to make sure you have safe surroundings incase you fall, and that the object is sturdy enough to support your body weight.
Thanks to my awesome coach Yancy Culp, from Yancy Camp, I never have the exact same workout twice. Which I think is really important to keep the body and mind fresh. Yancy is big on giving me and his other endurance athletes workouts that will keep you moving for quite a bit of time, but not put a lot of stress on your joints. Which is key in Injury prevention. Some of my absolute favorites are when we get the occasional 4+ hour sessions. Try this one out :
- run 25 minutes low end aerobic effort
- 10 mins of OCR specific Strength training.
(Example: alternating between pull ups, dead hang on the bar, hand position changes, weighted step ups, burpees, rows)
- 10 minute tire drag at low end aerobic effort
- bike for 15 minutes
*Repeat for 4 rounds, total of 4 hours
Workouts like that although they are long, it never feels like it because you keep changing every 10-20 minutes. You also don’t need a gym or a lot of equipment for those types of work outs. And then you feel incredibly proud of yourself once you finish and realize it’s been 4+ hours!